I’m sure I’ve told our PICU story somewhere on here – may try to dig it up – but for now just want to share at least somewhat of ours – thankfully it wasn’t anything so horrific, at least in the sense of it being something that some did – my heart goes out to them – but because of a similar situation in the just previous case at our hospital we had to go through the accusations, not just wrongly, though I could have handled that, would even have expected it if it had been the case, would have wanted them to have done what they did, but to accuse the parents of fracturing her skull when it turned out it wasn’t even fractured, now I can somewhat understand their wanting to move quickly, especially after what they’d just been through but that is exactly the type thing that , in many situation, leads to exactly the wrong response and causes problems so, now, let’s stop and think a little before we go rushing in where angels would fear to tread. They’d taken an image – X-ray, ultrasound, MRI, well, probably not, CT scan, something, not sure what – and “thought”, though at the time were confident – they’d seen a head fracture. So, again, somewhat like these parents, instead of the first person we saw being a doctor reassuring us everything was going to be ok, we, too, saw a social worker, never, it seems, a good sign, and in our case not just because of her condition but because – well, actually she came to me first looking for a character – or maybe should say a noncharacter – witness to confirm their suspicions, that I would tell them that, yes, I certainly wouldn’t put it past them to do that to their child and seemed quite upset when I wouldn’t go along with the game plan – really makes you wonder sometimes – so then they had no choice but to talk to the parents and get their story, which also didn’t fit their plan, so…then – and only then – did they take another image or round of them – and then, and again, only then, did they come – guess need to be grateful they at least did – and apologize for it all, saying she didn’t even have a fracture after all; it was “only” a shadow! oh, my – what they put us through, but we had bigger things to worry about because that didn’t mean she was safe – remember, in our case, that wasn’t even why we were there –
actually the social worker wasn’t the very first person to greet us – the very first person, before we ever got to PICU, while still down in the ER – was the chaplain – again, a not good sign – and, even though was glad they had one, didn’t seem to before, what you normally expected, at least, for us, at that point, maybe because of what we’d been through before, was what we’d been through before and for not only to be the first person but for the timing of that to be right when they walked in the door – uh, not good – but too, like them, he/they, the nurse as well – took us to a private room away from the peering eyes of everyone else in the ER waiting room and told us she had quit breathing but…at least, in this case, they were breathing for her, although learned something that day; they don’t have ventilators in the ER, they do it by hand – oh the scary feeling, what if they get tired? although, yes, I know they spell each other, but still, when you realize that literally they really do hold your dear one’s life in their hands – and they would be admitting her to…the PICU. This happened while they were doing a spinal tap for meningitis, which, thankfully she turned out not to have. So what had happened? what did she have? Group B strep – a bacterial infection – that normally is picked up from the mother during a regular delivery, except not supposed to be picked up because mom should be tested and be given antibiotics, except shouldn’t even have happened in this case because this was a C-section.
So again, what with all the – slightly veiled, in these instances – accusations of mom not doing what she should have been – which was what? how do you prevent this? – and putting this precious child’s life at risk – you unfit mother, you! which is exactly how we felt she was being treated.
Anyhoo, 10 day round of IV antibiotics in the PICU and she should be good to go – except nobody said anything to us at the time of what we’ve since learned – that not always that good – actually the latest stats I read said an overwhelming majority of those who contract this have permanent, if not severe, effects from it – maybe only if not treated in time, though how not not sure would be because, at least in our case –
if not for dil’s persistence that something was wrong, maybe so, but wouldn’t anyone do what she did – I mean, even in their case, it does appear the nanny did let somebody know something was wrong –
ours too went lifeless; dil (mom) calls me quite upset but she lives 1/2 hr. away at that point but certainly got there as quickly as possible – glad I don’t live in LA – she did call the doctor – but, no, she didn’t actually call an ambulance, maybe we should have – and maybe shouldn’t go quite to the lifeless stage at that point – because doc was supposed to call back – now, of all things, this was the day she was scheduled for a root canal – long story but knew if we didn’t get that done that day wouldn’t be able to later and would have another, though, granted, maybe not quite so bad, though they’re pretty bad, situation/emergency on our hands – thankful for cell phones, this is what they’re for though guess we could have told them where we’d be – so went on – until they called and for some reason said to get her there immediately, so I left with her leaving mom in the dentist chair – now also so grateful – though I feel somewhat Go Set a Watchmanish – for the – yes, just not sure would have been the same, in spite of the lady who worked at the dentist’s office who sat and held her – black “nurse”?, really not sure, at the doc’s office, who also took her from me and immediately then realized how lifeless she was and forget all protocol, got the doctor immediately, who then also realized the situation and so glad the office was right across the street from the ER, called them and told them she was sending us right over – just hate the triage stuff, though; thought we’d avoid it completely but at least she didn’t put us through the whole rigamarole and she pretty much got straight in, though they wouldn’t let me go at first, while they did all the testing –
but they did say had we waited overnight – oh, you, thinking she’d be better in the morning – she wouldn’t have seen it – so, at least, according to them, we “would” have had round #2 – uh, no, not good
Now I realize this didn’t turn out to be so much the PICU story as the lead up to it – like his linked-to story – and maybe if I get good enough I can do all that – and I may do another post about our actual – or, rather, my – which was somewhat my point but I don’t want to belittle dil but that would be more my story since I am the one who mostly stayed – stay in the PICU for those 10 days when she was 3 wks. old. Spent my birthday there.